Victor M. Font Jr.
Senior IT Executive
- Global IT Leadership
- IT Governance
- Strategic Planning
- Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery
- ERP Implementation/Migration
- Business Process Architecture
- Application Development
- Continuous Process Improvement
- Infrastructure Architecture and Standards
- IT Security
Leadership is my calling. As a visionary and coaching styled leader, I develop a clear strategic vision, direction and goal for my organization. I have a deep understanding of the present and have developed a sophisticated grasp of the future of computing. I possess great tactical management skills, exceptional analytical skills, and the commitment and knowledge to transform IT infrastructure and services into a business relationship driven, world-class operation. I have superb interpersonal talents, am sensitive to people, have an awareness of and desire to do good for others around me and am passionate about developing the next generation of leaders. My leadership and talent management skills have been twice acknowledged in articles written by human resource professionals.
With extensive executive and hands-on experience leading sophisticated technology initiatives for organizations of varying size and scope, I possess a strong record of success demonstrating superior management of resources with P&L and budgeting responsibilities that have reached $70 million. An exceptional communicator, I am author of several books including the seminal âThe Ultimate Guide to the SDLCâ (http://ultimatesdlc.com/), a masterful set of principles and practices that are proven to provide significant cost savings. Socially connected, I have over 24,200 direct connections on LinkedIn. My blogs draw several hundred thousand readers each year. I am a founding board member of the North Carolina Executive Roundtable (http://ncer1.org); and am solicited regularly to speak at various venues.
September 2012 â May 2013: University of Connecticut Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery Coordinator (//victorfont.com/bringing-business-continuity-and-disaster-recovery-to-uconn/)
- Successfully functioned as a transformational leader, established and supported the University's Business Continuity / Disaster Recovery Program, built two governance teams, worked across a matrix organization, and drove change when I didn't own or control any of the levers.
- Created the University Information Technology Contingency Plan and all planning documents and templates.
- Developed and delivered ongoing training to assist business and technical staff to understand, develop and apply business continuity principles to their business or IT operation.
- Coordinated the activities for creating a critical infrastructure protection plan and led the team responsible for building out the University's first critical infrastructure protection site. Project cost approximately $1M. Used agile methodology for build out.
- Negotiated with the leadership team at University of Connecticut Health Center to secure space in their data center for a critical
- Wrote the business cases to request Connecticut IT Capital Investment funds for Critical Infrastructure Protection Remote Site at UCHC ($4.26M) and Geospatial Information System ($3.2M)
- Wrote IT's Emergency Operation Plan and served as liaison to the Department of Public Safety's Emergency Operations Center during the operational periods for Hurricane Sandy and the blizzard of 2013.
- Led development of Department of Homeland Security Campus Resilience Pilot Program application
- Served on Enterprise Architecture and Infrastructure Governance Committee
- Participated in Identity & Access Management Governance Committee
November 2011 â September 2012: Consultant Space and Naval Warfare Command (SPAWAR) Atlantic
- Department of Defense Secret Clearance and Department of Veterans Affairs Security Clearance
- Provide tactical project leadership, business analysis, and software engineering services for large Department of Veterans Affairs project (Healthcare Administration Center)
- Documented âas isâ and âto beâ business processes using BPMN.
- Architected two public facing portlets for health insurance and plan administration for a variety of government VA programs; developed prototypes for same
- Project scope includes new benefits application, claims processing and eligibility, prescription benefits, mental health utilization, identity verification, interactive chat, secure messaging, claim appeals, explanation of benefits, temporary and replacement ID cards
December 2009 - Present
May 2010 â Present: Founding board member of the North Carolina Executive Roundtable
- C-Suite and P-Level executive think tank comprised of highly-experienced individuals from a broad array of industries who have served in senior positions
- Explore, assist and advise on a breadth of current business affecting issues including green technologies such as smart grid, solar PV, alternative fuels, e-business opportunities, etc.
December 2009-December 2010 Sabbatical Year:
- Author âPrinciples for Maturing Your System Development Life Cycle: The Ultimate Guide to the SDLCâ ISBN-13: 978-0-615-42677-8; http://www.ultimatesdlc.com
- May 2010 â Present: Founding board member of the North Carolina Executive Roundtable
CARQUEST Technologies, L.L.C., Raleigh, NC / 2007-2010: Corporate Director of IT Process Improvement; Direct reports: 7, Indirect reports: 43
- Participated on IT Leadership team to engineer Business Continuity/Disaster Recovery operations plan.
- Participated in development of 5-year and 3-year strategic plans
- Established Business Analysis Community of Practice, developed over 40 hours of Business Analysis training materials, delivered training to 28 Business Analysts in BPMN and BA elicitation techniques
- Planned major ERP version upgrade and migration to the Oracle ERP system including, Financials, HR, Payroll, Customer Billing, AR, AP, CRM, Supply Chain, Order Entry and Demand Management
- Led Oracle ERP implementation project. Established controls, energized, led and motivated team of 7 direct reports and 4 consultants, project finished on schedule and 3% under budget for capital and 92% under budget for expense items.
- Prepared annual operating and capital budget and established controls to stay within specified limits
- Designed CRM/Talent Management Solution with Salesforce.com for HR Support Center
- Supported JD Edwards ERP system for CARQUEST Canada. Migrated legacy systems processes and converged them into single global ERP instance.
- Established and chaired BU Steering Committee composed of senior-most staff to review Kanban based prioritization system resulting in on time and on budget delivery of high quality ERP products and services. Reduced backlog of change requests by 85%.
- Led organizational maturity process. Authored the companyâs System Development Life Cycle, defined service level agreements and metrics, security measures, and developed internal IT policies and procedures designed to improve work procedures, work flow, and service quality. Led 43 indirect reports for this project. Transformed organization from CMMI level 2 to level 3.
- Led root-cause analysis and quality initiatives to solve technical problems and develop process improvements for the system development life cycle
Pfizer, Inc., New York, NY / 1997 â 2006: Divisional Director Human Resources Systems & Business Analysis Center of Excellence, Pfizer Global Research and Development, New London, CT; Manager, Corporate Human Resources Business Technology; Corporate Enterprise Architect; Corporate Information Security Officer; Direct reports: 5, Indirect reports: 30
- Led or Served on Corporate Executive Governance Teams: Architecture and Engineering Council, Process and Compliance Council Continuous Improvement Team, Identity and Access Management Governance Board, Active Directory Governance Board and HR Process Improvement Team
- Participated in preparation of 5-year strategic plan for R&D Division
- Functioned within the PMO responsible for prioritizing and selecting high value project portfolio to fulfill a $70 million corporate-wide, multi-divisional, discretionary budget.
- Designed and Architected Smartcard technology to integrate manufacturing systems into the ERP to comply with FDA regulations. Operations personnel swiped their smartcards to confirm specialized SOP training before the manufacturing machines would even turn on.
- Architected automated provisioning/deprovisioning system using Waveset Lighthouse to satisfy requirements of SOX security audit.
- Led architecture review process to for middleware system to integrate 1,400 disparate manufacturing data feeds into real time, business analytics model using SAP Business Objects reporting tool
- Served on Corporate Information Security Council to lead divisional implementation of International Organization for Standards standard # ISO 17799 control categories. ISO 17799 is based on the British Standard 7799.
- Implemented U.S. Department of Commerce Safe Harbor Privacy Principles to satisfy European Community Directive on Data Protection 95/46/EC
- Successfully managed and completed multi-million dollar projects ahead of schedule and under budget. Held P&L stewardship responsibilities for project budgets up to $15,000,000 with $75,000 signing authority.
- Negotiated contract with SumTotal Systems that resulted in 50% reduction in licensing costs for Learning Management System. Deployed system to over 100,000 employees in 70 countries
Warner Lambert Company / 1996 â 1997: Manager in Human Resources Information Systems Group
- Led support team to implement and bolt on legacy mainframe system to Global SAP R/3 ERP
- Led a technical team of 15 in a major HR transformation initiative, which resulted in a multi-million dollar transactional cost savings by deploying manager and employee self-service systems to both the web and IVR.
JP Morgan Bank, NYC / 1993 â 1996: Senior Developer
- Served as senior developer on a team of 50 contractors to deploy a real-time Forex system to traders in NY and London.
AT&T Consumer Sales Division, Liberty Corner, NJ / 1992 â 1993: Operational Support Lead
- Led desktop support operations to support 600 sales reps
SGL Data Systems, Greenwich, CT / 1988 â 1992: Chief Information Officer
- Launched custom software development and consulting company. Successfully marketed vertical applications to insurance, medical and legal industries
- Designed, developed and first to market with LawCruitÂ®, the worldâs first product to support legal recruiters
Bayonne Computer Center, Bayonne, NJ / 1984 â 1988: Chief Operating Officer
- Launched startup of a retail computer sales and services corporation, generating annual sales > $3,000,000
- Negotiated open contract with US Navy procurement. Ships approaching Military Ocean Terminal could call-in purchase of up to $10,000 in supplies without PO. Navy guaranteed payment.
Jersey City Medical Center and Clara Maass Medical Center / 1976 â 1984: Mobile Intensive Care Paramedic
- Responded to over 25,000 career life-time calls for assistance. Saved thousands of lives and improved the quality of life for thousands more
- Delivered 16 babies in the field
- Served as an EMT Instructor/Evaluator for the New Jersey State Department of Health; and CPR and Advanced Cardiac Life Support Instructor for the American heart Association
- Examination Institute for Information Science:ITIL Foundation Certification in IT Service Management
- Wilson Learning Center with Steve Buchholz:Leading From Within: A Transformational Experience
- Tulane University Freeman School of Business Distance Learning:Master Certificate in Business Management
- Villanova University Distance Learning:Masterâs Certificate in Organizational Leadership Certificate; Six Sigma Green Belt
- MIT Summer Session with Peter Weill:IT Governance
- Venturist, Inc.:Prometheus Strategic Process, ColonelJohn A. Warden III
- Software Engineering Institute, Carnegie Mellon University:Capability Maturity Model Integration; People Capability Maturity Model
- Global Savvy:Working Effectively with India Cultural Training
- Pfizer Corporate Management Leadership Program:Leading Edge; Sharpening the Edge (Ken Blanchard Situational leadership training for individual and team environments.)
- Center for Creative Leadership:Leadership Development Program
- Bethany Bible College and Theological Seminary:Pastoral studies
- Liberty University:Biblical Studies
- University of Medicine and Dentistry NJ:Paramedical Sciences / NJ State Department of Health License # 428
- Methodologies / Certifications: ITIL Foundations, Six Sigma Green Belt, Lean, Capability Maturity Model Integration, People Capability Maturity Model, Kanban, Accelerated Implementation Methodology (Change Management), Prometheus Strategic Planning, Business Analysis Body of Knowledge
- Technologies: Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, Lombardi BPM, Internet Information Server, Linux, Apache, Internets, Intranets, Extranets, Novell Netware, Linux, Unix, Windows XP, Vista and Win 7.
- Databases: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, Microsoft Access, FoxPro
- ERP/CRM Systems:Oracle, SAP, JD Edwards, PeopleSoft, Salesforce.com
Professional Memberships and Publications
- North Carolina Executive Roundtable, Founding Board Member
- International Institute of Business Analysis
- Association of Information Technology Professionals
- Toastmasters International
- Guest Speaker/Panelist, Digital ID World Conference 2005,Cross-Domain Single Sign On, Provisioning & Policy: A Panel on Federated Identity Deployments, Expertise: Identity Electronic Fingerprinting
- Dozens of articles published inSync,Syntax,FoxPro Advisor,Database Advisor,Journal of Emergency Medical Services,Emergency, andTheJersey Journal
- Books Published:The Ultimate Guide to the SDLC, Winning With the SDLC: Best Practices, Winning With the SDLC: Requirements, Winning With WordPress: Basics
- Books in Progress:Winning With the SDLC: Development, Winning With the SDLC: Deployment, Winning With the SDLC: Quality Assurance, Winning With WordPress: Advanced, Winning With WordPress: Security
- Won a public election to represent Jersey Cityâs District 10, Ward 8 as a member of the Hudson County Democratic Committee